Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"Green" process - day 1

Day 1 of "Green": I got the still life set up and looked at it through my viewfinder. I always use this process, but today I felt tired and it was hard to get the image drawn on my canvas while holding the viewfinder and squinting through it, so I...

...tried something I have never done, and framed the setup, using straightedges taped to the front of the table, and a string across to demarcate the top of the composition. This felt strange to do, but freed me up from holding the little viewfinder and squinting through it.

Day 1 of the painting. After finally getting my composition sketched onto the canvas, I concentrated on mixing as many greens as I could. The glass bottle is a very bright, unnatural green, the limes are a beautiful range from yellow-green to blue-green, the backdrop cloth is a pale minty green, and the whites are picking up reflected and refracted greens. I do not use any tube greens at all, so I have to mix everything. I am using all my yellows (W&N cad yellow pale, Gamblin cad yellow medium, and Gamblin Hansa yellow light) and all my blues (Gamblin ultramarine, manganese blue hue, and phtalo) in different combinations, plus white. I was all I could do today to just cover the whole canvas. I find myself quickly confusing the greens, dirtying brushes, and getting lazy. Time to stop and continue tomorrow. I hope to keep much of the gestural and painterly feel, but clean up and punch up the color, and work on the edges. I may not actually work on it too much longer.

No comments: