Friday, November 12, 2010

"Oak tree, November morning", oil on canvas, 22"x16", unfinished

Here's the spot I decided to paint today. It's right in my neighborhood - a short path through a bit of woods. I've walked through it many times, and have been thinking of painting there for while. It was a perfect fall morning, and I didn't have to be at work until 3 pm, so I grabbed my chance.

Here's the painting on the easel, in progress. It was interesting - I went through all the stages of painting today - excitement, anxiety, sublime happiness, struggle, confusion, despair, acceptance of a sucky painting, and suddenly, it came together and wasn't so bad. Altogether a very satisfying morning!

Another shot of the painting on the easel, showing more of the panorama I was looking at. Sun and shadows are creeping across my canvas.

Here's the painting at the end of the morning. I will go back into it and mess with it some in the studio, after it ages a bit.


No comments: