Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Warrenton Building, oils, 24"x24"

Wow! Today was the first time I have painted outdoors in, I think, about two years! And I worked pretty big for plein air - 24"x24". It couldn't have possibly been a more beautiful day. I'm going to let this painting percolate for awhile before I decide if it needs some adjustments.

Here is a photo I took today at the site. If anything, I think my painting needs a brighter sky/more contrast, but we'll see .

This is the photo I took at this site a few years ago, and have been wanting to go back and paint it ever since. I think this was taken in the spring - it's interesting to see the difference in the shadows. By the way, the reason the angle I painted from today is different from this photo is that I wanted to stand in the shade. If I had painted in the spot from which I took this photo, I would have been in full sun, and it was just a bit too warm for me there. I didn't bring my umbrella today.

No comments: